Will the IGHR format be an online, interactive classroom or webinar?
- IGHR will be an online, interactive classroom format using Zoom and Google Drive. A Zoom classroom is designed to be fully interactive between the instructor and attendees, allowing for plenty of attendee participation. Attendees will be able to see, speak, hear, and share screens with each other and the instructor.
- IGHR will not be in webinar format, which is designed as a seminar or other presentation that takes place on the Internet with participants usually in view-only mode asking questions via chat.
- An Internet connection – broadband wired or wireless (3G or 4G/LTE)
- Speakers and a microphone – built-in or USB plug-in or wireless Bluetooth (a microphone will be required for classroom participation)
- Zoom Desktop Client or Mobile App (Android or iOS)
- Google Drive is an online, file storage system, which may be used by instructors to share handouts for attendees to access during IGHR.
- Google Drive will also contain the course syllabus and attendee handbook as well as photos of course attendees.
- You will receive a link to your course's Google Drive folder after IGHR registration closes. The link will be sent to the email address in your registration.
- An attendee does not have to have a Gmail account to access Google Drive.
Registration for IGHR 2022 courses will open Saturday, 19 March 22 and close at 11:55 p.m. ET on Saturday, 2 July 2022.
Limit one registration per email address.
When registration opens, go to IGHR Courses and select View Details to register for the course you want to take. Registration buttons are only visible during the registration window.
We encourage you to join the course wait list if the course you want is full and then sign up for a different course that you would like to take. The wait list button will replace the registration button when a course is full. If your name comes up on the wait list, you will be notified and permitted to switch to the course of your first choice at no charge.
GGS Member Discount
To receive the GGS current member discount, you must use your GGS registered email address as your tuition discount [promotion] code at the time of checkout—should you complete your registration without using the discount code, IGHR cannot reimburse you. Discounts are only permitted for course tuition! (Uses other than tuition will be corrected and billed.)
Join Georgia Genealogical Society (GGS) during course registration to receive the member tuition discount! The GGS member discount will be applied for new and expired members when the option to register for GGS membership (single or family) at the same time as course registration is selected. Use the appropriate tuition discount [promotion] code provided at the top of the course description/registration pages.
Payment may be made by debit or credit card through PayPal (a PayPal account is not required), a PayPal payment, or check.
Prompt payment is expected for all purchases. Payments made by check must be postmarked by the fifth business day after your course registration. Failure to send payment postmarked by the fifth business day for your course reservation will result in cancellation of your class seat. You will be contacted if your course registration was canceled due to nonpayment.
Course Transfer Fee
A $25 fee will be assessed for course transfer requests. Payment must be received before a course transfer is finalized. This fee does not apply when a seat becomes available through a course wait list. To request a course transfer, submit your request to firstname.lastname@example.org. A payment link will be sent to you.
IGHR 2022 Tuition
(Registration will be open 19 March through 2 July 2022)
IGHR 2022 Tuition – To Be Announced
- Only one registration per email address permitted.
- Only one GGS member $50 discount permitted per individual or family membership.
- Discounts are for course tuition. (Uses other than tuition will be corrected and billed.)
- To receive the GGS current member discount, you must use your GGS registered email address as your tuition discount [promotion] code at the time of checkout—should you complete your registration without using the discount code, IGHR cannot reimburse you.
- The GGS member discount will be applied for new and expired members when the tuition + membership discount [promotion] code is provided during checkout—should you complete your registration without using the discount code, IGHR cannot reimburse you.
IGHR communicates with registrants and others who have signed up for the mailing list via email. You may sign up for our mailing list at the bottom of this webpage.
In addition, information is shared through social media including:
Yes, there is a private Facebook Group for IGHR attendees in addition to our public Facebook page.
Click the link or search for Institute of Genealogy and Historical Research or IGHR Attendees in Facebook Groups. Your Facebook name* will be compared to the current list of IGHR registrants when you request to join the group.
*If your Facebook name is not the same as the name you registered with for IGHR, your acceptance to the group may take longer while we verify who you are.
IGHR 2022 will take place Sunday, 24 July – Friday, 29 July 2022.
The FREE FamilySearch Family History and Genealogy Expo will take place Saturday, 23 July 2022.
IGHR Schedule at a Glance
Sunday, 24 July 2022 (Eastern Time)
- IGHR Orientation (for all attendees) | 7:00 – 8:00 p.m.
Monday, 25 July – Thursday, 28 July 2022 (Eastern Time)
- Session one | 10:30 – 11:00 a.m.
- Session two | 11:00 a.m. – 12:15 p.m.
- 30 min. Break | 12:15 – 12:45 p.m.
- Session three | 12:45 – 2:00 p.m.
- 90 min. Lunch Break | 2:00 – 3:30 p.m.
- Session four | 3:30 – 4:45 p.m.
- 30 min. Break | 4:45 – 5:15 p.m.
- Session five | 5:15 – 6:30 p.m.
Thursday, 28 July 2022 60th Anniversary Celebration | 7:30 – 9:00 p.m.
Friday, 30 July 2021 (Eastern Time)
- Session one | 10:30 – 11:45 a.m.
- 15 min. Break | 11:45 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- Session two | 12:00 – 1:15 p.m.
- 15 min. Break | 1:15 – 1:30 p.m.
- Session three | 1:30 – 2:30 p.m.
Orientation will be held 7:00 – 8:00 p.m. ET on Sunday, 24 July 2022. We strongly encourage everyone to attend orientation.
Yes! We have shirts, sweaters, hoodies, computer bags, mugs, and more! Visit the IGHR online store https://ighr.axomo.com to see what is available. Click on an item to see color and size choices. Items will be delivered to your home.
Please note- Items are personalized with the IGHR logo at the time of your order and, therefore, can not be returned for a refund.
Yes! Books & Things is selling books on a variety of topics of interest to our attendees, including many of the books recommended by IGHR course instructors. Free shipping will be provided for instructor-required and recommended books listed on their website, www.mygenealogybooks.com. Select “Browse by Category" in the menu and look for IGHR.
Visit the Books & Things website www.mygenealogybooks.com to view their entire online inventory. If you can't find what you are looking for, they will search their off-line inventory, other bookstores, and book search services for you.
We appreciate Books & Things for providing a bookstore for our attendees!
Yes! There is something for everyone’s interests. Explore the links below to plan for your next visit to Athens. The following is a partial list:
- Georgia Museum of Art – this is the official Georgia state art museum
- State Botanical Garden of Georgia – official state botanical garden of Georgia
- UGA Horticulture Trial Gardens (behind Snelling Dining Commons)
- Richard B. Russell Special Collections Libraries Building & Galleries
- Butts-Mehre Heritage Hall –Georgia Bulldog Sports Hall of Fame
- Historic House Museums, including the Athens Welcome Center
- The Tree That Owns Itself
- Double Barreled Cannon
- Craft Breweries
- Tours and Itineraries
You can also check:
- The Athens Convention & Visitors Bureau website
- Eagle Tavern, Watkinsville, GA
- Oconee County, Georgia
Here are a couple of blog posts about places to visit in Athens:
We would love to place your ad in the IGHR Attendee Handbook! All faculty and attendees will receive a pdf copy. Attendees include genealogists, archivists, historians, librarians, and educators.
Ads are non-refundable. Ads and payment must be received no later than 30 June. Download the advertising guidelines and rate sheet for complete instructions and payment links. Send questions to email@example.com.